Friday, May 18, 2012

Bump It

The bump continues to make itself known and as I’m sure most first-timers would agree, it’s a bit surreal. Whenever I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I stop and look because it’s just so weird! It’s also kind of cool. Showing outward signs of all the internal chaos is definitely a perk. Not so sure I’ll agree with that a few more months down the road, but for now I’m enjoying it.

To me, my belly bulge seems quite pronounced, maybe even more than it should be at this point. Of course, I had some padding there to start off with and Lord knows there weren’t any abdominal muscles there to hold it all in. But I do wonder how I look to others; is it obvious that I am expecting or are there some silent concerns floating around about my McDonald’s intake? I’m still at the point where most socially-adept people wouldn’t dare comment if they don’t already know the truth. While that is probably best, I was still strangely disappointed when no one at my workshop earlier this week even asked.

Well, then came Wednesday. I work for a healthcare company and we have Medical Directors on staff. One of these was at the workshop and finally asked me how far along I was. Before I could answer, he guessed. He surmised I was around 25 weeks. I’m just shy of 16 weeks. Ouch. I wanted to write it off to the fact that maybe he had another specialty and wasn’t that familiar with pregnancy, but turns out he was in family medicine/OB. Double ouch. So, maybe my belly is out as much as it feels. Y’all take heed of my prediction that I’m headed toward Jessica Simpson proportions. After all, J was a 9 pound something baby. If that’s the case here, pray for me.

I’m not sweating it too much for now. I’m not ravenous and stuffing my face all the time (except with pizza. I am OBSESSED with pizza) so I’m not all that worried what the scale will read at my appointment next week. In fact, it will be a good thing if I have finally gained some weight.

I AM, however, worried that J and I will never agree on what to name the poor child. Thankfully, we have plenty of time to work that out, but now some of the ones I thought we had jointly put on the early list have been revoked. And we’re both stubborn … in case you didn’t already know that. Could be a long trip to November for more than one reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment