Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer in the Suburbs

Whenever people ask about my due date and hear that it’s not until November, most make a comment about having to be pregnant during the summer. Up until a couple of days ago, I didn’t really get the big deal. Personally, I prefer being hot rather than cold and like the options of lightweight dresses as opposed to layers of clothing.

Obviously, it’s sweltering across the country and Hotlanta definitely earned its name by experiencing triple-digit heat over the weekend. My parents were here so my mom and I ran a few errands on Saturday and Sunday. The only time we spent outside was walking to and from the car, but it was enough to completely wear me down. I got tired more easily and found that I was generally more irritable. I simply didn’t have the energy or patience to make decisions. I had a one-track mind: I wanted to be neck-deep in a pool, but we don’t have access to a pool, so I was a tad bitter.

I don’t think either of those are completely attributable to being pregnant – the heat will do those things to someone in any condition, however, I think there is a good chance they are exacerbated in pregnancy. I have several friends who are also pregnant right now and I bet they would agree!

The best part of last week? My cousin, Johnny, and his wife Nina had their second little boy. We went to visit them at the hospital and I held baby Jackson. Swoon. I haven’t been around a newborn since their first son, John Harold, was born just over two years ago. It’s easy to forget how tiny and precious they are. Of course, I couldn’t help but think about holding our own little bundle in a matter of months, but I’m looking forward to spending more time with both boys before then.

Rosebud has begun doing full-on gymnastics lately, especially when I’m trying to fall sleep. I swear I felt it on the outside of my belly a few times, but J has yet to do so; soon, I hope! Also, thanks to my crafty mom, she is already starting to compile a collection of goodies. From blankets and burp cloths to adorable socks and soft bunnies, her amount of stuff continues to grow. We may have to move the guest room downstairs sooner than we thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment