Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Today was a good day

So, hooray: I’m feeling pretty good today! Well, mentally – not necessarily physically. However, I’m pushing through the daily pains and discomforts best I can. I know the end is in sight!

Anyway, back to the positive news: we now have all the essentials for surviving at least our first few weeks with our baby girl (or so we think)! We assembled the pack n’ play she’ll use to sleep in our room in the beginning. It’s actually a bit of a tight squeeze if I place it next to my side of the bed. Not sure that’s where it will stay. It would easily go at the end of the bed but that is directly under the fan, which we keep on religiously. Is that a bad idea even though we have really high ceilings? My gut says yes. Anyone else care to weigh in?

We also got the car seat. We’ll install it in my car this weekend and Jarrett will get the extra base in his so we can just pop her in and out. Speaking of cars, I managed to scrape up the side of the Murano against a concrete post in my work parking garage the other day. It’s not horrible, but it most likely won’t be a cheap fix. I’m so mad at myself, but J was pretty chill when I told him and I really appreciated that because I had already burst into tears when it happened.

Since we are well-prepared stuff-wise, I’m definitely ready for Rosebud to make her big debut. On Monday I’ll be 37 weeks and she’ll be full-term so I say bring it on. I did not have an exam at my last appointment to check for dilation. I learned that my doctor does that starting at 38 weeks. However, it won’t predict much of anything regardless of when she does one. You can be 3cm dilated (anxiously convinced you’re going to go at any time) for weeks or go from zero to go time in a matter of hours. I can accept that, but it doesn’t give me any ammunition to get J to stay home from either of his trips, especially next week's Monday-Thursday jaunt to Vancouver.

J being that far away is a worry I can't calm and unless I can fix that ASAP, I may jinx myself into labor while he’s gone just from fretting about it. I’m going to address his schedule at my doctor's appointment tomorrow but I know she can't predict if anything will happen next week; so unless I’m already in labor prior to his flight, he’s going to be on it. As much as I tell him just the possibility is enough reason to stay, I know he really wants to fulfill his work responsibilities while he can.

I, on the other hand, can't say the same. Well, just about the strategic planning meeting I have to attend next week. It will be three long days of presentations/discussion in a local hotel conference room followed by group dinners each night. I’m going to be uncomfortable and exhausted. I’m totally dreading it and if I could get a note from my doctor saying I shouldn't attend, I would do it in a heartbeat. Alas, unless I forge it, I'm stuck. Hmm...forging.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment