Monday, October 29, 2012

Waiting is the hardest part

Cue Tom Petty! I have turned a corner and the mental anguish now outweighs the physical discomforts. I can’t think about anything except “when?!” and it’s driving me batty (there, that's my Halloween Week pun). There have been no signs to indicate we’re getting close. I had a few pretty intense contractions over the weekend, but they were sporadic and obviously didn’t progress or this would be a whole different post.

Last week I was 2cm and 70% effaced, so we’re at least moving in the right direction. If there hasn’t been much improvement come my appointment on Wednesday, I’ll be disappointed, even though I know it doesn’t predict anything. But again, for me, it’s all mental at this point.

I’d prefer to be one of those 10% whose water breaks so I have very clear marching orders to call the doctor and head to the hospital. Most women claim you know when you’re in actual labor, but there are also stories of women whose contractions weren’t the doubled-over-in-pain type and it was more about the consistency. I’d rather not worry about deciphering or timing contractions and just have something concrete clue me in (i.e., gush o’ fluid). We can deal with contractions once we get to the hospital and I’m all settled in. Yeah, that sounds good; let’s do that.

I’m starting to think about inducement. If needed, I have a scheduled appointment the day after my due date and I’m hoping we put something on the books for later in the week. I simply can’t imagine drawing this out any longer but I know they can wait as far as a full 1-2 weeks past your due date to induce. Lord, help me (and J, and anyone else who has to listen to me!) if that’s the case.

Tonight is a full moon and I know of one grandma-in-waiting who is betting on it. Regardless of whether it puts me into labor, I’m feeling funky if nothing else. I have experienced cramps/contractions/baby movements nearly non-stop and walking suddenly became more difficult than normal today. However, the famed eggplant parmesan at Scalini’s was a bust so I’m not feeling very superstitious.

Bottom line: everyone keeps reminding me Rosebud will come when she’s ready. Does my being ready count for anything anymore? I’m beginning to think not…and that it’s called parenthood. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment