Saturday, September 15, 2012

Freaky Friday

So, yesterday was a bit of an adventure. I woke up feeling fine, just really tired...one of those days where it's hard to put one foot in front of the other. However, sitting at my desk at work around 9 a.m., I realized I was feeling very short of breath, a bit dizzy, experiencing some blurred vision and all the lights seemed incredibly bright.

I sat with those symptoms for a good 30 minutes before they concerned me enough to put a message into my doctor. I had dealt with some of them in the past, but never all together and not that intensely. I assumed the doc would tell me everything was fine and not to worry, so I was surprised when I was asked to come in and be evaluated.

J was about to hop on a plane home from California. The last he knew was that I wasn't feeling great and going to see the doctor. I was fortunate that my cousin, Johnny, was able to pick me up from work and take me to the doctor.

After a quick chat, my doctor didn't seem overly concerned, but said I didn't look great and wanted to run some tests that she couldn't do in the office so she was sending me over to Labor and Delivery at the hospital. That's when I began to get a little nervous.

Johnny took me to the hospital and I told him to go home. By now it was 12:45 and J would be landing in a few hours. I figured I was fine on my own. It took another hour before I even got into a room and then almost another hour before the nurse had finished asking all the standard questions.

Funniest part of the day was since J was concerned, he got wifi on the plane and sent a message to a friend to call me and find out what was going on. Thanks to the miracle of smart phones, J and I connected so I could keep him updated. I felt horrible that he was hearing all this while on a cross-country flight!

They finally took some blood but mostly I just waited. I was hooked up to a fetal monitor so I could hear Rosebud's heartbeat, which was strong and soothing to me. I was feeling a little better by this time but still having some symptoms.

J made it to the hospital by 4:10 while we waited for the results of the blood work. Everything checked out fine, but my doctor noticed I was having some contractions so she decided to perform a swab test that can detect if you will go into labor within 2 weeks. I also got a cervical exam, which was by far the most uncomfortable part of the whole day. The wait for this part was hard because I was not ready for the news that I could be giving birth before 35 weeks.

Luckily, everything came back negative. Despite the fact that I had felt badly, there was nothing to show that anything bad was happening or that we should be concerned. While we were definitely relieved, it also felt like a bit of a waste. However, better be safe than sorry, right?

We got home around 7 p.m. and I was exhausted. J needed a drink. It was an unexpected and stressful day. I am feeling much better today and just taking it easy for a few days. I have to say, I'm ready to speed through these next few weeks and get to 37 weeks where I would feel better if anything happened!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you! I remember this happened to me at about 28-30 weeks, but it all turned out fine. xoxox

    ReplyDelete