Monday, July 18, 2011

Always be my baby

It's time to show some love for my original babies: Will and Zach. As previously mentioned, I have always loved kids, but these two sealed the deal.

I had worked as a camp counselor my first two summers in college but was interested in something different the next year. I don't even remember how it all happened, but I was introduced to this family from our church with an 18-month-old who were expecting their second. I started four days before Zachary was born.

I spent most of that first summer with Will and was just plain smitten with this kid. Not only was he adorable, but he was also really well-behaved. He was just learning to talk and watching his little personality bud over those couple of months was pure joy. I will forever remember his little hand dance to whatever music I had playing in the car and his fascination with any kind of ball.

The next year, Zachary was older and I would watch both of them. Zach was more active then Will but man, that kid made me laugh. I was even there when he took his first steps. I couldn't imagine being more proud had it been one of my own. I remember gently knocking him down at one point so I could video more steps for his parents!

Not only were the kids awesome, but I became close to their parents as well. They treated me very kindly and made me feel like a part of the family. It was truly the best summer job I could have imagined and consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity. My parents even felt like surrogate grandparents, as I would often bring the boys over to play at their house.

I can't pinpoint what brought all this up, but I got a definite pang of heartsickness today, missing them. They are a busy family and it has been difficult to keep in touch since J and I moved to Georgia. I seriously doubt the boys sit around thinking fondly of their nanny of long ago, but I hope they know how much I love and miss them. They will forever be a part of my heart.

Note: I can't find any photos but as soon as I can, I will add one or two to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment